How do I get help for myself or someone I know?
Simply call the NeighbourLink office at 519-352-5647 and we'll try to connect the individual in need with a volunteer.
Do I have to go to church for NeighbourLink to help me?
No. We help whoever we can no matter what race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
Do you duplicate the services that other agencies already do?
Our goal is to meet needs that are not currently being met by other agencies.
Where do your volunteers come from?
Our volunteers come primarily from our member churches.
Our Church already has a benevolence ministry, why do we need NeighbourLink?
It's wonderful to see so many churches these days with a heart to help the less fortunate. NL assists churches with these good intentions by:
- lessening the strain on any one church as the network of churches work together to meet needs.
- providing a more cost effective approach to ministry by sharing resources and utilizing volunteers to meet needs. Our conviction is that we can do far more together than we can alone
- identifying unmet needs or gaps in community services and informing churches of new opportunities for ministry
- Helping church members put their faith into action as they serve low-income people in practical ways
Do you preach to the people with whom you have contact?
Our desire is "be a servant of all." Often individuals living with poverty are oppressed by more powerful people and frequently from a young age. We want to empower those we work with, not appear to be one more person with an agenda for their lives. Therefore, how much talk happens about the spiritual dimension of life is up to those we serve.
Can I get an Income Tax receipt for my donation?
Yes. NeighbourLink Chatham-Kent is a registered Canadian charity. Charity number: 84855 5769 RR 0001
Aren't there a lot of people who abuse the system and take advantage of charity?
- The NeighbourLink office has more time and experience to be able to verify that each request for assistance is legitimate. Of course, it's not always possible to determine that, but we do our best to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to us.
Doesn't the charitable giving of well-meaning people often create dependency in the recipients?
- Our goal is to empower the people we assist in order that they may ultimately achieve a better life. Our WrapAround program is specifically designed to this end.